New Project Update 9th January 2004
Update 9th January 2004
If you wish to view previous work then links to updates are above. Work before this date was organised in sections (chassis, engine, bodywork etc) you can see this work by going to "New Project Title Page" above.
The big news is that I have now driven the car. On the 25th December I took the car for a little drive. It was only backwards and forwards about 20 metres but I managed to get into 2nd gear. The car felt good and everything worked as it should. The steering felt a reasonable weight when turning out of the drive onto the road and the lock is adequate. The clutch was easy to control and certainly not in the "on or off" category. The brake pedal effort felt fine. The only aspect that felt odd was the position of the gearstick but I am sure I will get used to this, or I can shorten the gearstick.
I was very happy with the test drive and I am now very eager to drive the car more especially over bumpy roads and around corners.
While the car was on the ground I was able to see how much each spring compressed. At the front I have 250 lb/inch springs and each spring was compressed 1". At the rear I have 170 LB/inch springs and each spring compressed about 2". Doing simple maths (bear in mind I have a 1:1 motion ratio between the springs and wheel) I have 500lbs on the front springs and 680 lbs on the rear springs. The rear weight bias surprised me as did the low overall weight. However to get the final car weight I have to add on all the unsprung weight (wheels, discs, calipers etc), body panels, glazing interior panels, hood and frame. So until the finished car is weighed I will not believe any figures.
All the wing moulds are now made and I am about to start laying up the actual wings in a carbon, glass, carbon composite.
Once the wings are made they can be fitted then the panels can be sprayed.
|There are 24 pictures on this page, posted 9th January 2004|
Before laying up the moulds I made templates of the required
As I was more confident with the material and process I used bigger
The rear wings also released easily. This is a film of PVA
The wood for the top of the windscreen frame has to be specially made.
These are the templates for the front wing lay up. It was difficult to