New Project Body Work (page 4)


New project title page

Body work (page 1)

Body work (page 2)

Body work (page 3)
  There are 8  images on this page

The wipers were not simple. Due to the widened body I required a different layout. As I sit so low in the car it is important that the lower half of the screen is wiped clear. A 180 degree sweep with the pivot of the wiper low and as close to the screen would achieve this. I had originally wanted to use a mechanical set up and had obtained a Ford Sierra wiper system but this would be very difficult to fit and get working. So I decide to use a Lucas rack and adapt the Sierra motor to it. This would allow me to easily mount everything any where I wanted on the car, have a powerful 2 speed motor with park and have any sweep I wanted (by altering the length of the crank on the motor spindle) I had to build a new box which would adapt the rack to the new motor. This was built from bolted together aluminium.
The internals of the motor control system were also modified to give me a park.

The new wipers work well with a very fast sweep clearing the bottom of the screen. A very short pulse of electricity (a momentary push of a button) gives one very fast sweep, with the wipers parking. I will have a button on my steering wheel that I can push, when ever I require a wipe.
The wipers.
This picture shows the various sweeps I experimented with. If I had a long wiper blade I could not get all of the bottom of the screen, there would be sections missing in the corners. 180 degrees of sweep gives much better coverage. The arms are straight Morgan items and the wheel boxes are new Morris Minor ones.

Parts of the new wiper box.
Inside the wiper box.

The only way to get 180 degrees of sweep was to build a new box. I used the Sierra motor as it is faster than the Minor motor. The rack is from a Morris Minor.


The insides of the new box. To determine the length of the crank arm I fitted a wheel box into the body and noted how much the rack moved when I moved the wiper through the sweep I required.

Slider inside the box.

New crank arm.

The white plastic slider is from a Minor unit and I made two alloy blocks to hold it. The bolts in each end locate the plastic.The arm is made from alloy with black plastic bushes and a steel pin Loctited into position.


The Sierra motor spindle has a spline and key way on it. I had to use the Sierra arm which goes onto this and weld it into my new crank arm. The only way I could make my new crank with the required recess for the spline, holes and bosses was from a disc then cut away the surplus. This was the only way I could hold the article in the lathe.

Marking holes from an existing layout.

Pointed grub screw for marking.

Marking holes in the base of the new box to bolt onto the motor required a special technique. Sometimes it is obvious what the spacing is between holes, it is 40mm, 1 1/2" etc. But on the motor it was not obvoius, so I screw a pointed bolt into the hole. Using the described method transfers the hole centres very acurately onto the metal to be bolted to the motor.

This is a close up of the pointed screw. It is screwed into a hole so it just protrudes (see the lower hole in the previous picture). The piece of metal requiring the hole is `blued` and then placed into position. It marks the metal which is drilled. The pointed screw is then put into another hole and the the metal (base of the box in this case) is then bolted into position with the first hole drilled and the procedure repeated.

Wiper motor in position on the body.

Flaring the tube for the outer of the rack.

The new box and wiper motor is mounted as low as possible on the chassis. This is an advantage of using the Lucas rack system.


The outer tubes require flared ends to locate into wiper wheel boxes. Fortunately our flaring tool had the correct dies for the tube. When installing the tube the runs are kept as straight as possible and any bends have the largest radius possible.


New project title page

Bodywork (page 1)

Bodywork (page 2)

Body work (page 3)